Family-Based Immigration Petitions

The most common reasons why people want to immigrate to the United States is to be
with family, and family-based immigration is a special type of process involving a family
immigration petition. Families get separated often when one or more people leave to
find work, pursue schooling, get married, or for any other reason. Legal immigration is a
way to reunite people with their loved ones again. Here at Monterrosa Law, we work
hard to help families stay together or get back together after they’ve been apart and we
can help you complete the correct immigration forms to make this happen with a family-
based green card. We understand that immigration is not just a legal issue, it’s one of
personal significance as well.

What Is a Fiancé Visa and Marriage Visa?

When you want to rebuild your family here in the United States, there are many different
laws and restrictions that you should be aware of. With an experienced immigration
lawyer on your side, you can understand what laws affect you and how to best prepare
for a smooth transition into the U.S. We know that each immigration case is different,
and we take the time to listen to your concerns, answer your questions, and clarify your
goals for your immigration. For each family member, we assist with filing the right
petitions including those for fiancés, spouses, children, parents, and siblings.

A fiancé visa involves a K-1 nonimmigrant visa. In order to obtain this visa, you and your
fiancé must intend to get married within 90 days of them entering the United States. If
this happens, he or she may apply for a lawful permanent resident status in the United
States known as a green card. U.S. law requires that you and your fiancé have met
each other in person at least once in the two years before filing this petition.

A marriage visa or a K-3 is given to someone who married a United States citizen. The
visa must be issued in the country where the marriage actually took place. After the visa
process is completed, the spouse can travel to the United States to wait for processing
of the actual immigrant visa case. Two petitions are required with this, the petition for
alien relative and the petition for alien fiancé.

Hire an Immigrant Attorney to Help You Today

Whether for a family immigration or a family based green card in Southern California,
Monterrosa Law is your home for family-based immigration services so reach out to us
today at 310-601- 3143 to schedule your consultation. We look forward to helping you
reunite with your loved ones. We are a bilingual, Spanish-speaking law firm in Southern
California so have no fear when calling us as we can communicate freely with you.

Request a Consultation

Call us at 310.601.3143